Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Tuesday, May 13, 2003

Neighbours, everybody needs good neighbours.

This is a report of yesterday's journey but it's still having me chuckling so will report today.

I live in Kew which is on the green and leafy end of the District Line and yesterday morning a few yards from the tube station I noticed two police cars, a large van and a small crowd of people. It didn't take me long to figure out it was the Kew residents in their active campaign to stop a mobile phone mast from being erected.

I went to wait for my train and watched the shananigans from a distance. These mainly involved a bunch of middle classed people in fleeces and with golfing umbrella's gesticulating and refusing to move until the "un planned" and "un approved" O2 mast people had gone on their evil way. After ten minutes about 30 or so people were there. Some had sensibly bought along chairs from their house and ironically a few were using mobile phones to mobilise more troops.

Amongst the group was the guy who lives in an enormous house across the road from me. The house is so big that our road is actually named after it. Anyway I learnt today that the residents succeeded in stopping the mast and the matter is now between the council and O2.

Reluctantly I had to jump on the train when it eventually pulled up only to be sitting in the same carriage as my next door but several neighbour who has the worst wig in the world. It always cracks me up when I see him as he must think that it not noticeable as a wig, and I can't believe that no one's ever told him to just wear a hat instead. Or perhaps it is a hat that's shaped like a wig.


; Posted by annie mole Tuesday, May 13, 2003 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2003/05/neighbours-everybody-needs-good_13.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS