Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Friday, January 09, 2004

Sniffer dog on the tube

Mind the Ganga

Really exciting journey home last night, as when I got to Piccadilly Circus there was a bit of a kerfuffle going on. A brown and white spaniel was barking and looking very interested in a flushed looking guy with a rucksack. The guy was suddenly and quickly bundled off without too much protest by a couple of policeman and the dog ran round in circles while being pulled back by another burly looking copper. It took me a few seconds to work out that I was seeing a sniffer dog in action, which was rather cool.

Sniffer dog at Piccadilly Circus


By the time I had manoeuvred myself into a position to take the picture above of the policeman and Sniffy (we shall call him) and an Oystercard promoter , the dog started barking and lurching forward again. (Incidentally perhaps the police were talking to Oystercard man about the daylight robbery of the recent
price hike in tube fares)

"Shit" I thought, "he's after my Nurofen", so I backed off a bit. Sniffy was after someone else who must have been shitting themselves, but fortunately it was a false alarm.

Now I'm assuming here that Sniffy was after drug carriers rather than explosive carriers. Piccadilly Circus is the nearest tube to that hot bed of vice - Soho. And also at the far west end of the Piccadilly Line we have Heathrow Airport.

But who knows, it was the first time I'd ever seen Sniffy and his police mates, perhaps they'd been tipped off. Perhaps it was just a routine sniff.

Update

A fellow blogger linked to this entry in the last line in their LiveJournal, he seems to be a bit confused about my gender. Although I make postings about trains, people tend to assume that I'm a bloke. I just can't seem to put the message across that I'm a chick (Regular readers know I have a bit of an obsession about this oversight or assumption).

Och well, I think the majority of people who read the blog know I'm a woman (the posted by Annie at the bottom of each entry is a bit of a giveaway). However, some people are always going to assume I'm a trainspotting bloke, so I spose I just have to live with it.


; Posted by annie mole Friday, January 09, 2004 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2004/01/sniffer-dog-on-tube.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS