Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Saturday, April 10, 2004

Listening on the Tube

Participants required - Sounds of the Underground

If anyone is up for this, there's a genuine request to take part in research for someone's PHD. Ximena (top name) originally left a message in comments a few weeks ago and I followed up the enquiry. I've simply cut and paste part of Ximena's follow-up email below, so that I don't get anything wrong:

"I am doing my PhD in Music, Technology and Innovation at De Montfort University in Leicester. My research is about the sound world or soundscape of the London Underground and what people would remember of it, we might call it cultural or collective auditory memory. I need for the sample 30 volunteers from diverse backgrounds.

This is a cultural and artistic project opened to all ages. The conditions to participate in the project are: to be a commuter (this is to have a routine travelling by The Tube at any time, line and route), and also to be Internet user or to be attracted by technology.

First, I need to have a chat with volunteers either in May or June. I am arranging appointments for it. In the next academic year (starting in September 2004), I will need a bit more of their time for a practical exercise of listening and sonic creation."


Anyone interested please email
Ximena Alarcon to find out more.

Cartoon by Andy Vine with some typical tube sounds


I'll be too busy listening to my toons to take part, but it might be quite fun if you want to have a go.


; Posted by annie mole Saturday, April 10, 2004 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2004/04/listening-on-tube.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS