Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Saturday, May 08, 2004

Possible New World Record

For travelling round all tube stations in the shortest possible time

One of the many people who sends me odd snippetts for my blog is Geoff Marshall who has set himself a challenge of trying to beat the record for travelling round all 275 tube stations. He's been on TV doing this and subsequently been lampooned by
Victor Lewis Smith in the Evening Standard - but despite all this he takes it all in good humour and even though Lewis Smith assumed otherwise - he has got a girlfriend.

Geoff sent me a piccy about a tube barrier last week and I hadn't got round to posting it, but I looked at his site a couple of days ago and noticed that him and his mates, believe that on Wednesday (7th May) they have now finally beaten the record.

It still needs to be confirmed by the Guinness Book of Records (how they confirm this is anyone's guess), but it's looking likely that 18 hours, 35 minutes and 43 seconds beats the 19 hours record.

My favourite picture of all the ones on Geoff and friends' travelling-round-all-stations-in-under-19-hours attempts is the one with Geoff proudly holding a bottle of Ribena which he used for a loo stop.

What to use when caught short on the tube


Geoff emailed me when I told him this and said: "The bottle of "Urinena", as I've christened it. Not everybody thought it was funny! Some people at work where genuinely appalled, as was my girlfriend!!"

I'd never even thought about loo breaks if you were going to be on the tube all day, but thinking about it, it's a very sorry state of affairs with very few stations having toilets on them. No wonder Santa had to have a slash in the corner of platforms in the Christmas campaign last year.


; Posted by annie mole Saturday, May 08, 2004 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2004/05/possible-new-world-record.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS