Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Escalator Question

Someone's bound to know this

Just received an email Trevor Gilles:

Hi, I trust all is well on your side of the planet.

I have visited your fair city twice '89 & '96 and the tube system is one
thing that I admired equally, if not more than the usual touristy landmarks
and has left lasting memories. I followed the updates on the Jubilee extension with a passion and I'm always keen to learn more about the system.

I have a question.

We walk on the left hand side of a footpath. Our trains run on the left. The people of your country (and mine) drive on the left, allowing faster
moving vehicles to overtake on the right.

Do you know why it is that on London escalators the rule is reversed: i.e. Keep right and allow any faster commuters to overtake on the left ?

Perhaps this was adopted from your European neighbours.

The rule in Australia regarding escalators is the same as our road rules..... Keep Left, unless overtaking.

Is there a logical answer? I'd enjoy any views you or others have.




I don't have a logical answer (Tube rules are not always logical) and as I'm a bit addled with a cold at the moment (Damn that Scottish rain), maybe you can help.


; Posted by annie mole Wednesday, September 01, 2004 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2004/09/escalator-question.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS