Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Friday, February 18, 2005

The busiest station on the tube : Empty

Check out this picture. I took it yesterday, at about lunchtime somewhere on the tube. You might think "Well that looks like some deserted tunnel to the Northern Line probably at some quiet out-of-the-way station". Wrong! This was taken at King's Cross where just a few seconds walk around the corner, hundreds of people were milling past.





In my continuing quest to discover the quickest way to change between lines at stations, I found myself at King's Cross yesterday, checking out the whole station and found this marvellously 'secret' and un-signed passageway that connects the Northern Line to the Piccadilly Lines. I took this picture, and stood there for another good 5 minutes, and no-one walked past!

Try it yourself next time you're there ... at one end, it's at the front of the nortbound platform on the northern line, and just a few seconds walk later it comes out in the corridors between both the north and southbound for the Piccadilly line, and you'll save time mainly because you avoid the rest of the hordes of people going through the proper 'signed' way and all cramming onto the escalators.

Ok, so I jut thought I'd mention it. Cue: Comments from people that say that they do this everyday, I guess .. but I still liked it.

Next week: Part 2, where I reveal the secret spiral staircase at Earl's Court which takes you down from the District to the Piccadilly Lines in the shortest time possible.


; Posted by Anonymous Friday, February 18, 2005 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2005/02/busiest-station-on-tube-empty.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS