Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Aftermath of the Aftermath

Well folks, thanks to Annie and Geoff you've been kept up to date with just about everything we know about Thursday. I went into central London yesterday, not to look around at the scene of the bombings, but to see just how busy it was for a Saturday afternoon and to get a few things.

I decided to walk to Edgware Road station (Bakerloo, of course) and as usual, the place was dead. I was the only person on the platform until the next train arrived, when a couple of people wandered in.

Edgware Road Bakerloo Southbound

There weren't all that many people on the train but they all looked fairly relaxed to me and I did do a quick "are there any bags lying around" check too.

I got off at Oxford Circus where the escalators were busy enough and walked down Oxford Street, into Charing Cross Road and down to Trafalgar Square. Oxford Street was business as usual so far as I could tell, as was CHX Road. But it was Trafalgar Square which seemed quieter than usual, despite being a nice enough day.

Trafalgar Square

I got back on the Bakerloo at Charing Cross, and once again, it was dead. It's normally busier than this on a Saturday:

Charing Cross Bakerloo Northbound

All I can assume is that people were quite happy to come to London to a degree, but once there didn't want to use the tube so close to Thursday. I can't say I saw much police presence about although Leicester Square station was overflowing with LU staff, presumably to tell the tourists the Piccadilly was off. Maybe most of the people I saw were tourists who were stuck in London until it was time to go home again and not British people visiting for the day.

Anyway, there's been much chat recently about "getting back to normal", so the last part of this post has nothing to do with Thursday. Instead, it's to do with these little indicator boards I've seen popping up in various ticket halls over the past few months which give you an overview of which trains to expect. Here's the one at West Hampstead, as I made my way home.

New Indicator Board at West Hampstead

(Can I just point out that all the pictures in this post are copyright Neil Blake 2005 - thankyou)


; Posted by Anonymous Sunday, July 10, 2005 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2005/07/aftermath-of-aftermath.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS