Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Train driver's view

I could never drive a tube train

One of the good things about travelling on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) - in fact it's probably the only good thing about travelling on the DLR - is that you can sit in the front of the train and pretend to be a driver. I'm sure people initially find it quite disconcerting that no one appears to be in the driving seat apart from a random bunch of commuters. But as the
DLR's site says: "DLR trains are driven by an automatic system, they do not require drivers. Each train however is staffed by a highly qualified Passenger Service Agent."

Going into Shadwell each morning I sit at the back of the train so I'm near the exit of the station. Leaving I travel at the front so I'm near the exit for Bank. Most nights the train's pretty packed so I don't get to sit in the front seat, but last night, there were some spare seats at the front so I reminded myself what a dull view some train drivers must have.

Here's the wonderful view leaving Shadwell when you can see Docklands and the Gherkin in all its glory:

View from DLR leaving Shadwell


But here's the view that loads of London underground drivers have - although it will obviously be less blurry - not being able to take flash pictures on the London Underground and travelling at a blinding speed doesn't help my photography here.

View from DLR arriving at Bank


Imagine looking at tunnels like this every day. No wonder they look so bored.


; Posted by annie mole Thursday, July 21, 2005 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2005/07/train-drivers-view.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS