Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

One of Life's Horrible Ironies

Tami in London while New Orleans in chaos with Hurricane Katrina

I'm sitting here at the moment with a head cold coming on and feeling sorry for myself, but at the same time I'm hearing the awful reports about the
hurricane in New Orleans. You probably know that Tami Brisset a Police Captain from New Orleans flew over from the United States to take part in Tube Relief (blogged in full detail below). It now looks as though the poor woman will be stuck in the UK for longer than expected due to the horrible events in her home town.

It's kind of ironic that she flew to London, a place that many people from the US are probably avoiding at the moment, specifically to show her support for Londoners and to tell the world that she is not afraid of travelling on the London Underground. And now, although separated from her family and loved ones, she's probably far safer over here than in her home town.

I'm sure you'd like to extend your thanks to Tami for coming over and also give your thoughts to Tami who is obviously worried about all of her family and friends who are being evacuated from New Orleans.

Tami's comments have gone onto the BBC website for people who are affected by the hurricane:

I am here in London having completed a Charity Tube Challenge for the London Bombing Victims on 8-25-05 and unable to get home to New Orleans. I am a police Captain and feel totally helpless as I am unable to help my city and my family. I don't know where my family has gone. I came here to help raise money by completing all 275 tube stations in 20 hours with a group of UK citizens. I hope to have a home to go back to when I do get home. I appreciate all the prayers and support.

Tami Brisset, New Orleans in London now

Tami also posted a similar message on CCN's message board:

"I can only watch CNN and get the info I need and dread. I left my city and will not know when I can return or what it will be like. My new friends, (who now I call family) have given me support over the last day or so. Also, the kindness shown to me when people hear about my fears. I just felt I needed to write."


; Posted by annie mole Sunday, August 28, 2005 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2005/08/one-of-lifes-horrible-ironies.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS