Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Police stop and search tube poster

Seen at Waterloo station

Doubtless most people have heard about the stop and search policy on the London Underground and the discussions saying that it's
unlikely that "white old ladies" would be stopped and that Asian men were more likely targets.

Yesterday morning I actually saw a poster saying that people might be stopped and searched. I was in a rush, so the picture's a bit blurry (also, not helped by the fact that you can't use flash on the Tube)

Stop and Search poster at Waterloo outside the Waterloo and City Line


It said: "To help keep the Tube safe you may be approached by British Transport Police officers carrying out searches. Your cooperation in this exercise is valued. More information will be supplied by the police at the time of the search".

As yet, I've not seen anyone actually being searched though (I don't count my recent encounter with the police), although there were a number of pictures in Metro a couple of days ago with Asian blokes being searched.

Announcements at Holborn

Also yesterday on my way to a quiz night (we performed dismally, I'm ashamed to say) I got out at Holborn and there were some booming annnouncements, as I was travelling up the escalator, in loads of different languages. Most of the languages I couldn't even identify, let alone translate.

I've rattled on and moaned about the Tube not making announcements in anything other than English in the past, but paradoxically I found this really freaky, mainly because they were sooo loud. Initially, I thought the system had been hijacked by someone. I also wondered if I was supposed to be taking any notice of the announcements. Christ knows if they were saying anything important. Has anyone else come across public announcements on the tube in a language other than English, or is this just a test at Holborn?


; Posted by annie mole Thursday, August 04, 2005 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2005/08/police-stop-and-search-tube-poster.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS