Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, webmaster of Going Underground, daily web log (blog).
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, THE fun and informative BOOK about travelling
on the London Underground.

Friday, September 02, 2005

London Underground Suicide Bomber Chilling Video Message

London Underground Suicide Bomber Chilling Video Message - Picture from ReutersPre-death videotaped statement released from London Underground Attacker

News just in over the past hour (around 1am) and I must admit to feeling fairly spooked out hearing it on the radio as it's the first time I've heard one of these messages coming with a British accent. Mohammad Sidique Khan, a 30-year-old British national who came from Dewsbury, near Leeds in West Yorkshire, was responsible for the Edgware Road Circle Line explosion on the Tube which killed six people and injured 120.

"The suspected ringleader of the July 7 London suicide bombers warned of more strikes in a pre-death videotaped statement".......

"'Until we feel security you will be our targets and until you stop the bombing, gassing, imprisonment and torture of my people we will not stop this fight. We are at war and I am a soldier,' said Mohammad Sidique Khan on a videotape aired by Al Jazeera television on Thursday........

"Al Jazeera presented al Qaeda deputy Zawahri and Khan in separate segments of videotaped statements, which the network described as a claim of responsibility from al Qaeda for the blasts on London's transport system which killed 52 people.....

"It was not clear how long before Khan's death the tape had been made, or where. The single videotape appeared to be a compilation of different pieces of footage.....

"The Arabic television channel showed Khan wearing a turban, talking directly to the camera, seemingly relaxed and speaking in the heavy accent common to people from Yorkshire in northern England, where he had lived......

"Neither British Prime Minister Tony Blair's Downing Street office nor the Foreign Office commented on the tape.

But David Davis, the Shadow Home Secretary (interior minister) of the main opposition Conservative Party, said in a statement
: "Nothing can justify the murder of innocent people. People across Britain will be sickened by this video."

Read more from Reuter's here. You can also watch the video yourself on the BBC's website. There is also full text of his statement on the BBC's site.

This should just strengthen our support of the victims of the attacks and strenghten our resolve to show these pyschos that we're still not going to be fleeing from the streets of London or our public transport, no matter what they say.

Please, if you have not already, support one of the many challengers of Tube Relief who took part in the mass tube challenge which hoped to do exactly the above. Police Captain Tami Brisset from New Orleans joined the challenge and is now back in the States, facing her own nightmare with Hurricane Katrina (see earlier blog posts below). But I know she was strong in her determination to visit London to show Americans that she was not scared of travelling around the Tube network for 20 hours.

Even if it's only a couple of quid please support a challenger and help the families of the victims of the terrible attacks. Thank you.

; Posted by Annie Mole Friday, September 02, 2005 Permalink COMMENT HERE Add to Stumble Upon