Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Day The Bombs Came - BBC1 Documentary on London's Terror Attacks

More London Underground victims' and rescuers' experiences documented on BBC TV - Wednesday 16th November

Many thanks to both
Ian and Gabby McAlistair for letting me know that tomorrow at 9pm on BBC1 there will be a documentary about the experiences of people whose lives were changed by the horrific terrorist attacks on the London Underground and bus system on July 7th.

Ian pointed out a moving piece from the BBC's website where a victim, Gill Hicks, who lost both of her lower legs was rescued by two policemen and they were re-united three months later in Richmond and is filmed on Wednesday's programme.

In a terrible twist of fate, Gill did not make the Piccadilly line train she was trying to catch at King's Cross as someone "a great guy" pushed in front of her and squeezed into the carriage before she had a chance. Gill said:

"We exchanged a couple of words, and I was therefore left to board the next train, which was, as we now know, the fated train."

When the bomb was detonated: "The whole environment changed and suddenly it felt like I was falling in black thick liquid or tar and my immediate sensation or thought was that I was having a heart attack and that I was dying in the Tube."

When the policemen who rescued Gill arrived at the station we learn their first impressions on seeing the shocked people who had managed to escape from the carriage, standing in the booking hall: "Their clothes were shredded. They all had blackened faces, hair standing on end and none of them knew that they had been involved in an explosion. A few people thought they had been electrocuted."

Gill lay trapped and waited for what must have seemed like an eternity to be rescued: "I don't know how long I waited but then I did see a torch, and I did see someone coming towards me and all I remember were, what I now think are the two best words in the English language, which are "priority" and "one", and a hand on my shoulder saying "priority one, it is ok," and after that, it is bits and pieces that I can remember."

7/7: The Day The Bombs Came, is broadcast on Wednesday, 16 November 2005 on BBC One at 2100 GMT. The programme also uses footage from London Underground's train monitoring software to reveal the actual moment the explosions registered on the Network Control Centre's screens, while Andy Barr, the guy in charge of overseeing the running of the entire Tube network, explains how the events panned out of and the important life-and-death decisions he was forced to make.

The Tube "Under Attack" Part Two - ITV1 15th November

My mistake, I thought that 7.30pm on ITV1 London Region you would have been able to see Part Two of Under Attack - part of The Tube series - which also focusses on the events of July 7th. But they've moved the series to Thursdays now!!!


; Posted by annie mole Tuesday, November 15, 2005 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2005/11/day-bombs-came-bbc1-documentary-on.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS