Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Thanks to a guardian angel on the London Underground

Mind the GapBlog reader would like to thank someone who helped her on Friday

I received the following email from Sarah Beaumont who wanted me to tell her story:

"Dear Annie,

I hope you don't mind me getting in touch with you - but your blog seemed like the best way of letting people know there are some real gents on the tube!

On Friday evening I was coming home from a long day at work and making an interchange at Victoria onto the District Line headed to Richmond at about 6pm. As I stepped onto the train I slipped down, and somehow started to fall into the gap between the carriage and the platform.* My legs seemed to go quite deep down the side - it all went into that horrible slow motion.

I heard people shouting behind me and felt a bloke behind me grabbing me underneath my arms. He pulled me up onto the train and some nice passengers helped me sit down after the unusual sight of several young men getting up for me!

By sheer shock of it I didn't manage to say thank you to the man who pulled me back up, but whoever he was, I really wanted to find a way to say thank you.

Who would have thought, there are some real gentlemen still using public transport!

Thanks for your great blog,

Sarah Beaumont

* (I have a kind of arthritis which means my knees can sometimes just stop working, they are generally a bit rubbish rather than me having one whisky too many)
"

Who said chivalry was dead!! Glad to hear you were OK too Sarah.

Funnily enough last week I saw a lady trip on a plastic bottle just as she was getting off a District Line at Richmond, fall over really badly and scream. A number of people quickly rushed to her aid and I got my mobile out just in case she was badly injured. Fortunately she was OK and hobbled off with another lady helping her, cursing the offending Lucozade bottle.

But interesting that the Mind The Gap announcements aren't for nothing. A woman emailed me last week after reading my BBC article on Mind the Gap and wondered when the term "Mind the Gap" was first used. Anyone have any ideas? Also anyone else have any tales of chivalry on the London Underground? Always nice to have a pleasant story to take our minds off the strikes.


; Posted by annie mole Monday, January 23, 2006 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2006/01/thanks-to-guardian-angel-on-london.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS