Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dogs must be carried on the London Underground

Tube pooches

Whenever I see the "Dogs must be carried" sign by the escalators on the London Underground I do envisage confused tourists wondering why Londoners are ordered to carry dogs, and how whether there is a local pet shop doing a roaring trade selling puppies for people to pop under their arm specifically for escalator travel. Yesterday I saw a woman carrying a dog which was perfect for this.

Dogs must be carried

Only a couple of weeks ago I was asked what the rules were for dogs on the Tube. As far as I know "carrying dogs on escalators" is the only rule.

Dogs must be carried sign

Oh, and I don't think that dogs are allowed to sit on the seats, although to be honest I've never seen any signs to that effect. Otherwise you don't have to pay for dogs to travel on the Tube. However, if they are travelling by themselves they may be approached for Oystercards or a fare! Feel free to jump in if I've left out any other Tube rules for canines.

Finally, here's a picture from my archives, sent in by dog fan, Frank Timmer, of a man failing miserably with the "Dogs must be carried" rule.


Hope he didn't give himself a hernia.


; Posted by annie mole Wednesday, May 10, 2006 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2006/05/dogs-must-be-carried-on-london.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS