Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Queen of the Underground IS Queen of the Underground

In a spooky bit of irony - busker Hadar who has a great song called "
Queen of the Underground" has now been crowned "Queen of the Underground" by winning Buskear's search to find the best busker on the London Underground.

Hadar from her myspace page

I've heard Hadar, lots of times on the Tube, and she does have an amazing voice so I believe the award's well deserved. I think when I first heard her, I thought she was Katie Melua doing some sort of promotion.

She said: "It's great to have won this competition but I believe there isn't just one Queen or King or best artist on the underground or above. We are all (buskers/artists) unique and special in a different way. I know musicians who played with huge bands and sometimes like to play the underground, it's an amazing experience!

Without the buskers who are the unsung heroes of London, and part of the fabric of the city, we wouldn't have had the magic, of creating the soundtrack to the people who travel in this city
."

You can see the lyrics to "Queen of the Underground", which she wrote as a jingle for co-sponsors of the competition, Capital 95.8, earlier this month.

I'm sure the busking community will be having much discussion / argument etc about why she won, who should have won, how much publicity she got, whatever. But essentially she's a great singer and I'm sure she will now do incredibly well as a result of the crown.

Lloyd Busking

Finally, I must apologise to my busking friend Lloyd Davis for not getting my interview with him up yet. In the meantime, you might want to have a look at some photos I took of him a couple of weeks ago, busking at Bond Street.


; Posted by annie mole Sunday, February 24, 2008 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2008/02/queen-of-underground-is-queen-of.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS