Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Friday, May 16, 2008

Food Smells at Old Street Tube

I emerged from Old Street Tube station yesterday morning and I thought that someone was cooking a roast dinner. I don't know what it was but there was a really strong meaty smell in the air.

There are a lot of restaurants when you walk through the exit but at that time in the morning I can't imagine why any of them would be cooking a roast dinner.

Old Street London Underground Station

If anyone who knows (TubeLines people, hint, hint) maybe you can explain.

I really do love food and love cooking (so much so I'm helping to run an foodie event on Sunday 18th May which you can find out more about here). But there is something really weird about smelling food at times and places where you're not really expecting it.

You may remember the controversial poster, asking people to not eat smelly food on the Tube which almost caused diplomatic incident between London & Italy and it was pulled.

Smelly Food Ad

When I've had a few drinks I've been known to eat some hot food on the Tube, and I know it's unpleasant if you're not eating. (It's like the smell of someone else eating cheese and onion crisps) But when you are starving, specially if it's late, sometimes only fried chicken or a pie or a kebab will do.

Well a kebab wouldn't do it for me actually, as I really do think they're pretty disgusting. But I will try my best not to eat hot food on the Tube anymore. It's just that you're so limited for healthy food late at night near London Underground stations, you don't get much choice.


; Posted by annie mole Friday, May 16, 2008 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2008/05/food-smells-at-old-street-tube.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS