Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Not on the London Underground

It's been a while since I've written a post on London Underground roundels that you've found on your travels that are not in their natural Tube habitat.

As Halloween's around the corner it seemed appropriate to start with a ghoulish spot at Brick Lane in East London by Melissa

Underground Ghostbuster taken by Melissa

She said: "I snapped this on my way to work one morning. I have no idea what it means, but this was stuck to a road sign indicating the diversion away from Brick Lane (it's currently closed for East London line work but I continually see GPS idiots go up there anyway, and I laugh)."

If anyone has any idea, it would be appreciated!

Going a bit further afield now, Pete from the Londoneer spotted this in Poland.

Wroclaw roundel by the Londoneer

He said: "Here's a roundel I saw one weekend while I was in Wroclaw (pronounced Vrots-waff) in Poland - cheeky or what! I think it's offering an internet service...".

Finally some sporting roundels. The strapping lads below are from the Putney Magpies, a team in the British Australian Rules Football League or BARFL.

Conference Semi vs North London taken by Mick Gray

Premiership vs Wimbledon-130 taken by Mick Gray

Before TfL's solicitors go racing across to Putney to rip the shirts off these guys, I'm told by Peter O'Neill who sent them to me, that there were a number of complaints by opposing team members & referees, saying it was too hard to see the players' numbers against the roundels, so they no longer use these shirts.

Thanks to you all for sending the photos in. The full set of Roundels Not on the London Underground can be seen here. If you spot any more roundels in unusual places please email them to me and I'll put the best up on the next post I do on this.


; Posted by annie mole Thursday, October 30, 2008 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2008/10/not-on-london-underground.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS