Welcome to the fun, "irreverent & informative", award-winning London Underground - Tube Blog.
Click here for other London Underground guidance. Contact me here

Going Underground's Blog
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Annie Mole's, daily web log (blog) & “guide” to the London Underground
If you like this you'll LURVE One Stop Short of Barking, the fun and informative book about travelling
on the London Underground.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Katherine Jenkins Busking on the Tube

Operatic star Katherine Jenkins went busking in disguise at Leicester Square London Underground Station on Tuesday (22nd November) and managed to make £10 in the process.


The operatic 'diva' and star of last year's Christmas Dr Who special, dressed down in a brown wig, knitted jumper with holes in, ripped jeans and boots. She spent 45 minutes at Leicester Square Tube, performing some of her biggest hits including Time To Say Goodbye.

Beforehand she said to
The Evening Standard: "It's a really fun concept and it will be really interesting, but it is probably the gig I've done that's most out of my control. I have no idea how people will respond and most people on the Tube are so in their own world anyway that I don't know if people will respond."

"I get on public transport now and again, I mostly drive though. But I used to get the Tube when I was studying so I know what's it's all about. I always listen to buskers, but I've never busked before."

"We're trying to do something that's so far removed, I've always been quite a glamour girl. I really like my outfit but I've never performed in flat shoes and I'm normally in full on evening dress."

Afterwards, Katherine said: "I was really, really enjoying myself. On the initial first note I thought, ‘Oh God, I don’t know how this is going to work out. It was quite an operatic number and I wasn’t sure how it would be received.


"But by the second number commuters were stopping and some were moved to tears. The people were really lovely. One guy said I had made him late for work."

Katherine plans to donate the money she raised to a ­homeless charity, added: "It has got a great acoustic down there. I actually didn’t want it to end."

Did you see her perform on Tuesday? It's pretty clear from the video that the disguise didn't work and everyone recognised her. She even managed the amazing feat of actually getting people to pay attention to her on the Tube and not walk by as though having a superstar opera singer on the London Underground was an everyday occurance.

You might also like
Rihanna on the Tube
Cally Road Tube Artist Inspires Song
What's going to happen to Tube buskers?
Queen of the Underground is Queen of the Underground


; Posted by annie mole Thursday, November 24, 2011 Permalink COMMENT HERE
http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2011/11/katherine-jenkins-busking-on-tube.html
NEWER POSTS ........ OLDER POSTS